Hi Italo,

Italo Vignoli wrote on 13-01-16 10:13:
> Impress power users rely on the mode toolbar as one of the most
> frequently accessed commands. In my opinion, hiding it by default is a
> huge problem (I went back to LibreOffice 5.0 because of it).

It is not a toolbar, but the tab bar in View > Modes Tab Bar.
(I was confused by your intro, sorry)

> We should at least have the toggle icon on by default,

The icon Display Mode is visible by default for me.
(With a clean user profile. If you changed anything in the tool bar in a
previous LibreOffice version, there is a good chance that stuff newly
introduced in 5.1 will not be shown).

> although it is not the ideal solution as the reality is that you
> activate the mode toolbar as your first action when editing a new

Unless you are a poweruser using the menu.

> presentation (because you switch between Page and Slide Sorter very
> frequently, as you compose your presentations using a mix of completely
> new slides and slides from old presentations pasted in Slide Sorter view).

> I have now reverted to LibreOffice 5.1, where I have activated the

5.1 ? I am confused by your explanation, sorry for that.
Both 5.1 and master have the icon Display Mode visible by default and
the Modes Tab Bar in the menu View.

> toggle icon (which makes the issue acceptable, but does not solve the
> issue of the missing Mode Bar). The icons to switch from Page to Slide
> Sorter views are always visible both with PowerPoint and Keynote, and we
> should avoid to introduce a "feature" that represents a HUGE step back
> in term of usability.

I appreciate the new Display Mode icon in the Standard tool bar.
Maybe it could be improved by adding a tick "Show Modes Tab Bar" and/or
that it could be dragged off as floating toolbar (as is the case with
the grouped shapes on the Drawing tool bar.

I could imagine an interesting and shiny article meeting good attention.
People like feature articles.

Cheers,
Cor

--