On 17.10.2015 00:35, Stephen Michel wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 8:19 PM, mray <m...@mray.de> wrote:

>>>  Looks great! As I said in IRC, I like the avatar integration and it
>>>  seems like the links around the text-entry box are not too cluttered.
>>>  [These were two points discussed after an earlier iteration.]
>>>
>>>  I have two specific questions and one unrelated question:
>>>
>>>  1. I find it hard to recognize the dash (-) as something to click on
>>>  to hide a thread. That might be because the dash is *inside* the block
>>>  it ostensibly closes. Maybe better like this?
>>>
>>>  https://img.bi/#/abqkwvI!pka8hJ924A1YWjwi6W58pwO_uQpg3758Yn13YVV6
>>
>> You're moving the dash outside the box right?
>> I think a box and its functionality should remain contained in itself.
>> The dash was [-] before and is also positioned like on
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/science/comments/2ypaa7/enceladus_saturns_6th_largest_moon_has_a_warm/
>>
>> for example.
>> I might play with alternatives like triangles like fr33domlover
>> suggested on IRC tough.
>> The reason I stuck with typographical elements is that they are
>> minimalistic and fit to the rest. If possible I want to avoid attention
>> in the header part, it is already too loud up there imho.
>
> For what it's worth, of all the nested comment systems I've used, I've
> only ever used collapsing functionality in one. I'm not sure if I
> haven't used it because it's not useful to me (I doubt this) or because
> the design didn't work for me (lack of affordance, visual prominence).
> Interestingly the only collapsing functionality I use is actually in my
> email client, Geary. Here's a screenshot:
>
> https://img.bi/#/3yaA600!teR8S47vA3gjMicuK0QuMg1f7vOOmJJgt-WW1TqO
>
> This is definitely too much visual noise for every post, but maybe just
> for top-level posts?
>
> ~Stephen

I like the collapse/expand bar idea. But for one it would be
inconsistent with other collapsing functionality, and as you said it
adds much clutter and takes away screen real estate.

Your questioning the collapse function all in all actually makes me
wonder what *are* reasons to collapse. Because if by default anything is
EVER collapsed I consider rethinking the whole thing.

/me looks over to Aaron

Robert