On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Florian Müllner <fmuell...@gnome.org>wrote:

> On dom, 2011-11-06 at 22:52 +0100, Seif Lotfy wrote:
> > "What you see" for me doesnt necessarily mean that the program
> > populates the jumplist alone. It means the items in the jumplist are
> > prgram specific.
>
> To me it means that the application is in control of what appears in the
> jumplist, not necessarily that it is responsible for specifying the
> exact set of items. So I can imagine some "gnome-recent-items" action
> which is translated appropriately by the shell if included in
> the .desktop file, but I would not expect anything in the jumplist if
> the application does not specify anything.

However if the app doesn't specify a list why not have a fallback option.
Mostly you will end up using it in cases like gedit, rhythmbox, totem,
epiphany and event documents. In that case I suggest the usage of zeitgeist
and not gtk.recentmanager. Since such lists are dynamic i don't find it
appropriate to keep updating the .desktop file with recently/most used
every time the app is used. If apps really would do that I would suggest
them push directly into zeitgeist.

> Unless we provide the recentlyused and mostused files in the .desktop
> > file the only way for the jumplist to populate itself with such items
> > is if the app is running and pushed them into the jumplists.
>
> I don't agree with the notion that "jumplist == recently/frequently used
> files" - for instance for Evolution, I would expect actions like "New
> mail" or "Open calendar", but not a list of recently read emails
> cluttering the list (even when that data is available in
> gtkrecent/zeitgeist).

I comepletely agree with you that jumplists is more than most/recent items.
I never claimed otherwise.

> Florian

Seif