On 14/12/05 02:53 am, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
>  and still after 15 or so years,
> not having display drivers in the kernel, thus allowing X to put the
> system in a state where it only responds to the reset button from the
> console.

Shall I mention that the last time my PowerBook have had a kernel panic was
when I plugged a webcam in the USB port. Go figure, but and desktop system
where webcam drivers are in the kernel (v4l), but video drivers are
completely userland[1], there is something wrong .

Not that I advocate to put video drivers in the kernel....

Hub

[1] actually video drivers are more and more in the kernel, like the now
infamous nVidia binary module, but I'm sure the X.org experts here know much
more about that than I do.