On Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 08:23 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> One interesting question to ask here is, would we be interested in
> adopting Tizen's API for, for example, SD card access? Or Chrome-app's
> API for TCPSocket?

Apologies if you mean these generically without wanting specific
discussion.  But if it's helpful, I think TCPSocket is an interesting
real situation to discuss in this scope because besides it being a
dangerous API, there is:

1) A standardization effort is being made at
http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/tcp-udp-sockets/ (with issues tracked
under the github project at https://github.com/sysapps/tcp-udp-sockets).
 I've been under the impression we intend to convert our implementation
to this spec.  I've certainly been providing feedback to the spec from
experiences developing our email app.

2) An open source shim at https://github.com/whiteout-io/tcp-socket that
wraps Chrome's socket API and node.js's socket API to look like
(moz)TCPSocket.  It will likely be updated to the former standard
assuming we follow-through on updating our implementation to conform
with the standard.

3) A weird Google Chrome TCP API.  Their new API which supersedes their
old lower-level-styled API can be found documented at
https://developer.chrome.com/apps/sockets_tcp.  Integer socket
identifiers are used and AFAICT you register listener callbacks for all
sockets only.  Like for onReceive, the payload is {socketId, data}.

Given the existing standardization effort and its arguably superior API,
I think we would only want to implement support for the Chrome API as a
concerted effort to ease porting of existing Google Chrome extensions or
to create a sufficiently-compatible runtime.  If we didn't have the
standardization effort ongoing, I could see adopting the Google Chrome
API and wrapping it for any higher level needs.

Andrew