At the last Tuesday meeting I foolishly agreed :-) to take charge of following
up on this discussion and seeing if we can come to a decision. So, here goes:

First, I want to try to pour some gasoline on the dying embers and suggest that
perhaps we should totally rearrange everything. As a developer user of our
testing systems, I always found it incredibly irritating that there were test
directories sprinkled throughout the tree that got copied to the build dirs as
part of the build process, with no clear mapping between the build path of the
test, the source path of the test, and the path you had to pass to mochitests
to actually run the test.

I would prefer something like this:

|-- tests/
        |-- browser-chrome/
                |-- topic1 (omit this level if there would be only one)
                |-- topic2
                |-- [...]
        |-- chrome/
        |-- crashtests/
        |-- marionette/
        |-- mochitests/
        |-- reftests/
        |-- xpcshell
        |-- [..]/

That way, when working with a given testing harness, you know where to find all
the files for it (source, metadata, and tests), and can easily figure out how
to work with specific tests and directories.

This is approximately what SpiderMonkey uses, and it seems to be approximately
what Chromium and WebKit use.

This does seem to be about the transpose of what you asked for Henrik, but it
makes sense to me, so I'm curious what you think.

Dave