On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Benjamin Smedberg
> <benja...@smedbergs.us> wrote:
>> On 10/15/2013 1:18 PM, Brian Smith wrote:
>>> My understanding is that web content should not be able to tell which
>>> locale the browser is configured to use, for privacy (fingerprinting)
>>> reasons.
>>
>> I haven't heard this rule before. By default your browser language affects
>> the HTTP accept-lang setting, as well as things like default font choices.
>> You can certainly customize those back to a non-fingerprintable setting, but
>> I'm not convinced that we should worry about this as a fingerprinting
>> vector.
>
> I think preventing fingerprinting at a technical level is something
> we've lost though we should try to avoid introducing new vectors.

I think, at least, we should consider ways to avoid adding new vectors
when we are making decisions. It doesn't have to be *the* deciding
factor.

> As far as JavaScript API features go, I don't think we should vary our
> offering by locale. E.g. for Firefox OS we want changing locale to
> just work and not require a new version of Firefox OS. The same goes
> for a computer in a hotel or hostel or some such. Firefox should work
> for each locale users might have set in Gmail.

I strongly agree with this. No doubt there is a strong correlation
between the UI locale and the locale used for web content, but it is
far from a perfect correlation. Socially, we should be erring on the
side of encouraging a multilingual society instead of discouraging a
multilingual society. Technically, we should minimize the web-facing
differences between different installations of Firefox, because having
a consistent platform for web developers is a good thing. That is why
we create web standards, and that is why making parts of standards
optional is generally a bad thing.

I have no idea how to install a langpack. Presumably it is something
that is done through AMO. I am skeptical that this is easy enough to
make it acceptable to push this task off to the user. we should at
least automate it for them. If this data is too large and contributing
towards aborted installs, why not just split the installation phase
into two parts, and install the locale data in parallel to starting up
the browser?

Cheers,
Brian
--
Mozilla Networking/Crypto/Security (Necko/NSS/PSM)