On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Brian Smith <br...@briansmith.org> wrote:

> I don't think it is fixed in stone that asm.js code must go through
> Web Platform APIs. I believe the requirement is that it must be
> possible to translate asm.js code into Web Platform APIs in a way
> where the result works reasonably. AFAICT, there's nothing technically
> stopping us from implementing any kind of specially-optimized
> passthrough logic for any particular API, and also I think that idea
> is compatible politically with our stance on asm.js, compared to
> "ActiveG."

I'm not sure what you're talking about. We insist that asm.js apps are
implemented in terms of standard Web platform APIs. This is a big
difference --- perhaps the biggest difference in practice --- between
asm.js and PNaCl/Pepper. So a cairo-using app ported to asm.js must
implement cairo on top of a standard Web platform graphics API, and the
natural fit would be canvas-2D (though there are other options, such as
compiling cairo's GL backend to asm.js and running it on top of WebGL).

So maybe you're saying the browser could optimize the idioms of Moz2D
implemented atop canvas-2D or WebGL better than the idioms of cairo
implemented atop canvas2D or WebGL. OK, that's theoretically possible, but
in practice there won't be any difference. Especially because cairo's
internal "surface backend" API, which all cairo drawing goes through, looks
a lot more like Moz2D than cairo's public API!

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w