On 02/24/2014 08:25 AM, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> By the way, do you have any plan to do the same with these libraries and
> forward
> the patches upstream?

I don't have concrete plans to do this, but others are welcome to!

It's often more difficult (with less immediate benefit) to fix warnings
in third-party code, since:
 a) We try to avoid directly modifying third-party code in m-c, since
any such patches would be clobbered on the next library-update. So we
may not be able to directly fix our in-tree copy of the code, unless
it's really important.
 b) In some cases, the lines of code in question might have already been
fixed (or even removed) upstream, so no upstream patch ends up being needed.
 c) In cases where the bug *does* exist upstream, you may end up having
to wait a while until Mozilla imports a new version of the library (with
your warning-fix), for mozilla-central to get the fix.
 d) In the meantime, it's possible that upstream might have introduced a
bunch of *new* build warnings, which we only discover when we import the
new version. So, that can make it an uphill battle.

~Daniel