On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 6:13 AM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> To recap I think the following points have been resolved:
>> - remove determinant (unless someone comes up with a strong use case)
>> - change is2D() so it's a flag instead of calculated on the fly
>> - change isIdentity() so it's a flag.
>> - update constructors so they set/copy the flags appropriately
>>
>> Still up for discussion:
>> - rename isIdentity
>> - come up with better way for the in-place transformations as opposed to
>> "by"
>> - is premultiply needed?
>>

> This list misses some of the points that I care more about:
>  - Should DOMMatrix really try to be both 3D projective transformations
> and 2D affine transformations or should that be split into separate classes?

Yes, DOMMatrix reflects the transform of DOM elements so it should contain
both.
I think the underlying implementation should move to use a 2d or 3d matrix
so it avoids the pitfalls you mentioned.

>  - Should we really take SVG's matrix and other existing bad matrix APIs
> and bless them and engrave them in the marble of The New HTML5 That Is Good
> By Definition?

The platform is not helped by having multiple objects doing the same thing.
We *could* support but deprecate the old API if people feel that having
better names is worth the effort.