> Jonas, I would be really interested in your thoughts. Try as we might (in the
> WebSerial API docs, at least), noone could actually think of a use case where
> providing access to a physical (RS232), or Virtual (VirtualUSB or
> VirtualBluetooth) serial port could be a privacy and/or security issue.

Hello,

I can think of at least one security issue...  A machine used to program a PLC
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_controller) might have its
ports scanned by a malicious site for a PLC interface.  Such malicious intent
could be used to cripple a manufacturing facility or worse, cause physical harm
to people working in such a place.  PLC’s and automation hardware are
high-value targets which have already been attacked in the past (see Stuxnet -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet)

IMHO, Just because serial ports are slow, doesn’t mean that their use should be
less controlled than USB.

That being said, I would love to use a web app to program an Arduino, when I
explicitly give it the appropriate level of trust.

- Kip