On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 4:22 AM, <tzi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, July 14, 2014 2:00:47 PM UTC+3, Gervase Markham wrote:
> > On 13/07/14 18:35, Vasilis wrote:
> >
> > > Jonas, I would be really interested in your thoughts. Try as we might
> >
> > > (in the WebSerial API docs, at least), noone could actually think of
> >
> > > a use case where providing access to a physical (RS232), or Virtual
> >
> > > (VirtualUSB or VirtualBluetooth) serial port could be a privacy
> >
> > > and/or security issue.
> >

> > > It's a whole different beast when you provide access for cameras or
> >
> > > any USB device, of course, but what could someone do with access to a
> >
> > > serial port?
> >

> > The WebSerial interface doesn't cover the Universal Serial Bus, then?
> >

> > For USB, the OS has some underlying knowledge of what the device is,
> >
> > right? So we could do permissions for USB on a per-device rather than
> >
> > per-port basis, which is the right way to do it IMO. But AFAIK that's
> >
> > not possible for RS232.
> >

> > Gerv
>
> Which is the kind of exaggerated security for no real purpose that I
> mentioned.
>
> The three major OSes give you APIs to access any Serial-Port-like device
> (physical or virtual) in a straightforward manner, because, for all intents
> and purposes, those are Serial ports. Trying to go around this and map
> devices with ports ranges from hard (USB, Bluetooth) to impossible (RS232)

I still don't think I understand your answer here. Will this API allow me to
directly address USB devices? To take a concrete case, say that I have
a USB printer, will I be able to use this API (subject to user consent)
to talk to it directly and print documentS?

-Ekr

I do agree with Kip, some Serial devices are important and/or dangerous,