On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Karl Dubost <kdub...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Le 12 août 2014 à 07:03, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> a écrit :
>> * A use-case that we came upon pretty quickly when we were looking at
>> using prerendering in FirefoxOS is that we might not know the exact
>> URL that the user is likely to navigate to, but we have a pretty good
>> guess about what template page it's going to be.
>
> If I remember bits of Google strategy, it was basically tied to their proxy
> servers where they basically know statically which page the users are most
> likely to click next.

In the Google search page use case (if that's the case you are talking
about?) the resulting pages generally don't share a "template". This
means that they have to make a best guess at which page to load, and
if they guess wrong the prerendering was for naught.

However in some cases we can do better than that by loading a template
page that can be used for multiple of the search results. And even
better, we can do it at a dramatically lower cost since we don't have
to worry about implementing the AI for guessing which result the user
is going to click.

Also note that this isn't just useful for search results. Where it
came up for FirefoxOS is in the contacts list, where it's likely that
the user is going to press one of the contacts, but guessing which one
is unlikely to be successful.

/ Jonas