On 17:37, Wed, 20 Aug, Jonas Sicking wrote:
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Jeff Gilbert <jgilb...@mozilla.com> wrote:
I have been asked in the past if we really need to run WebGL tests on Android,
if they have coverage on Desktop platforms.
And then again later, why B2G if we have Android.

There seems to be enough belief in test-once-run-everywhere that I feel the
need to *firmly* establish that this is not acceptable, at least for the code I
work with.
I'm happy I'm not alone in this.

I'm a firm believer that we ultimately need to run basically all
combinations of tests and platforms before allowing code to reach
mozilla-central. There's lots of platform specific code paths, and
it's hard to track which tests trigger them, and which don't.

I think we can agree on this. However, not running all tests on all platforms per push on mozilla-inbound (or other branch) doesn't mean that they won't be run on mozilla-central, or even on mozilla-inbound prior to merging.

I'm a firm believer that running all tests for all platforms for all pushes is a waste of our infrastructure and human resources.

I think the gap we need to figure out how to fill is between getting per-push efficiency and full test coverage prior to merging.

It would however be really cool if we were able to pull data on which
tests tend to fail in a way that affects all platforms, and which ones
tend to fail on one platform only. If we combine this with the ability
of having tbpl (or treeherder) "fill in the blanks" whenever a test
fails, it seems like we could run many of our tests only one one
platform for most checkins to mozilla-inbound.

There are dozens of really interesting approaches we could take here.
Skipping every nth debug test run is one of the simplest, and I hope we can learn a lot from the experiment.

Cheers,
Chris