Hey Martin,

This is a good idea, and we've been thinking about approaches like this. Basically, the idea is to run tests that "(nearly) always pass" less often. There are currently some tests that fit into this category, like dom level0,1,2 tests in mochitest-plain, and those are time-consuming to run. Your idea takes this a step further, by identifying tests that sometimes fail, correlating those with code changes, and ensuring those get run.

Both of these require some tooling to implement, so we're experimenting initially with approaches that we can get nearly for "free", like running some tests only every other commit, and letting sheriffs trigger the missing tests in case a failure occurs.

The ultimate solution may blend a bit of both approaches, and will have to balance implementation cost with the gain we get from the related reduction in slave load.

Jonathan