On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Joshua Cranmer šŸ§ <pidgeo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I nominally agree with this sentiment, but there are a few caveats:
> 1. nsITreeView and <xul:tree> exist and are usable in Mozilla code today.
> No HTML-based alternative to these are so easily usable.
> 2. The main rationale for this feature (bug 213945, although I doubt the
> approach currently taken in bug 441414 is actually usable for that anyways)
> involves a tree view that is currently performance-sensitive and comprises
> 13,446 lines of C++ code, so it can't easily move to JS. Which means some
> sort of XPIDL API is going to be necessary anyways, and that API would
> probably look vaguely similar to nsITreeView.

I'm not proposing migrating the current tree code to HTML+JS.

> 3. I've never done a lot of UI coding myself, so I don't know if my
> recollection is correct anymore or even if it ever was, but I recall
> hearing that XUL and HTML didn't get together terribly well.
>
> So if we had an HTML tree implementation that:
> a) supported lazy generation of row data
> b) supported column pickers, rearrangeable columns, etc.
> c) supported CSS queries similar to what <xul:tree> does already,
> d) could be used or made usable from C++ without too much effort
> e) already existed and were generally maintained in toolkit/
> f) were properly accessible
> g) had any other compatibility features I've neglected
>
> I would happily agree with you. But without those, it does feel a little
> bit like you're holding hostage real improvements on the basis that a
> better solution theoretically exists.

Nope.

Rob
owohooo
osoaoyoso otooo oao oboroootohoeoro oooro osoiosotoeoro,o oā€˜oRoaocoao,oā€™o
oioso
owohooo
osoaoyoso,o oā€˜oYooouo ofooooolo!oā€™o owoiololo oboeo oiono odoaonogoeoro
ooofo
otohoeo ofoioroeo ooofo ohoeololo.