On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 4:43:25 PM UTC-4, byu...@gmail.com wrote:

> These guys can go around thinking they're secure while trusting root CAs like
> CNNIC whilst ignoring DNSSEC and the like; the rest of us can get back on
> track with a new, sane browser. While we're at it, we could start treating
> self-signed certs like we do SSH, rather than as being *infinitely worse*
> than HTTP (I'm surprised Mozilla doesn't demand a faxed form signed by a
> notary public to accept a self-signed cert yet. But I shouldn't give them any
> ideas ...)

A self-signed cert is worse than HTTP, in that you cannot know if the site you
are accessing is supposed to have a self-signed cert or not. If you know that,
you can check the fingerprint and bypass the warning. But let's say you go to
download a fresh copy of Firefox, just to find out that
https://www.mozilla.org/ is serving a self-singed cert. How can you possibly be
sure that you are not being MITM'ed? Arguably, it's worse if we simply ignore
the fact that the cert is self-signed, and simply let you download the
compromised version, vs giving you some type of indication that the connection
is not secure (e.g.: no green bar because it's plain HTTP).

That is not to say that we should continue as is. HTTP is insecure, and should
give the same warning as HTTPS with a self-signed cert.