On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 3:55 AM, Yoav Weiss <y...@yoav.ws> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 7:52 AM, Yoav Weiss <y...@yoav.ws> wrote:
> > > Limiting new features does absolutely nothing in that aspect.
> >
> > Hyperbole much? CTO of the New York Times cited HTTP/2 and Service
> > Workers as a reason to start deploying HTTPS:
> >
> >   http://open.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/13/embracing-https/
>

> I stand corrected. So it's the 8th reason out of 9, right before technical
> debt.
>
> I'm not saying using new features is not an incentive, and I'm definitely
> not saying HTTP2 and SW should have been enabled on HTTP.
> But, when done without any real security or deployment issues that mandate
> it, you're subjecting new features to significant adoption friction that is
> unrelated to the feature itself, in order to apply some indirect pressure
> on businesses to do the right thing.

Please note that there is no inherent security reason to limit HTTP/2 to be
used only over TLS (as there is for SW), at least not any more than the
security reasons for carrying HTTP/1.1 over TLS.  They're semantically
equivalent; HTTP/2 is just faster.  So if you're OK with limiting HTTP/2 to
TLS, you've sort of already bought into the strategy we're proposing here.

> You're inflicting developer pain without any real justification. A sort of
> collective punishment, if you will.
>
> If you want to apply pressure, apply it where it makes the most impact with
> the least cost. Limiting new features to HTTPS is not the place, IMO.

I would note that these options are not mutually exclusive :)  We can apply
pressure with feature availability at the same time that we work on the
ecosystem problems.  In fact, I had a call with some advertising folks last
week about how to get the ad industry upgraded to HTTPS.

--Richard