On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 03:11:36PM -0400, Andrew Halberstadt wrote:
> On 21/04/15 03:02 PM, Aaron Klotz wrote:
> >On 4/21/2015 12:50 PM, Andrew Halberstadt wrote:
> >>
> >>This could be effective, but if not implemented with care it could
> >>also be very de-motivating, especially for a well-intentioned
> >>contributor.
> >
> >Is this really an issue though, given the time and effort required to
> >earn sufficient commit access to push to inbound?
>
> It's the patch author that is on the hook for bustage, not the pusher.
> Any contributor can land a patch on inbound by setting
> 'checkin-needed' on the bug.
>
> But contributors aside, it could be de-motivating for employees too.
> If I break inbound, I already feel really bad about it.. no need to
> rub it in my face :). If there are employees who are blatantly abusing
> inbound and don't seem to care about other people's time, perhaps a
> private e-mail to them and/or their manager would be a more
> appropriate response.

I don't think it's really a problem from that perspective. OTOH, it's
something that is not necessarily easy to quantify accurately, because
oftentimes, things are backed out that are *not* involved in bustage
(just because there are several candidates and they're all backed out at
once to unbust more quickly), although I guess they're relanded
unchanged right afterwards.

Mike