On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 9:40:47 AM UTC+2, Xidorn Quan wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:24 PM, <kdavis> wrote:

> > Web
> > size

> > developers
> > with

> > there
> > > >

> > > I think for desktop and fennec, some of the systems already provide APIs
> > > for TTS and STT. At least, Android has both of them [1][2], Mac also does
> > > [3]. Windows should have, but I'm not sure what form do they provide.
> > >
> > > I think for those systems, it's probably better to use their API, so that
> > > we provide the same experience as their native apps, and allow us not to
> > > include the engine ourselves.
> >
> > I think the Web Speech API[1] serves a difference audience.
> >
> > It is a JavaScript API that web applications can access. In addition the
> > web Speech API will be the same across various OS's, allowing web
> > applications to do STT/TTS in a OS independent manner from web applications.
> >
> > So, the introduction of the Web Speech API does not stop people from
> > writing native code, which they can always do. It does, however, greatly
> > ease and standardize cross platform STT/TTS.
> >

> I meant, we do not need to include the speech engines in Firefox. We just
> need adaptors to use those system APIs, instead of Pocketsphinx, to provide
> the speech service for web applications. That way, we can provide the
> feature as powerful as what the systems have already provided. e.g. OS X
> currently supports TTS for tens of languages, and STT for around ten
> languages.
>
> - Xidorn

I don't think your approach is excluded. In fact it is encouraged. The Web
Speech API can support more than one backend at a time and in future we will
add other backends, likely including the native backends you mentioned.

However, as a first step we want to use only Pocketsphinx. (This simplifies the
initial task of implementation as we can concentrate on a single backend.)
Later we will add other STT/TTS backends which will likely include the various
native backends you mentioned.