On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 10:29:29 PM UTC+2, Nicholas Alexander wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 10:36 PM, <kdavis> wrote:
>
> > We would like some feedback on build flags for the Web Speech API
> > installation.
> >
> > More specifically, we are planning to land an initial version of the Web
> > Speech API[1] into Geko. However, due to a number of factors, model size
> > being one of them, we plan to introduce various build flags which
> > install/do not install parts of the Web Speech API for various build
> > targets.
> >
> > Our current plan for B2G is as follows:
> >
> > 1. Introduce a flag to control installation of the Web Speech API
> > 2. Introduce a flag to control installation of  Pocketsphinx[2], the
> > STT/TTS engine.
> > 3. Introduce a script to allow installation of models, allowing developers
> > to test the Web Speech API (They can test once they've made a build with
> > the previous two flags on)
> >
> > Our question is related to desktop and Fennec. Our current plan is to:
> >
> > 1. Introduce a flag to control installation of the Web Speech API +
> > Pocketsphinx + English model[3]
> >

> For Fennec, that's about right -- a build flag should control building and
> shipping all (or parts) of this, and a Gecko pref controls enabling the
> feature (exposing it to web content).  There are numerous examples, and see
> [1] and [2] for Fennec specific notes.
>
> Fennec is extremely concerned about its APK size and is very unlikely to
> ship the large model files that the Web Speech API relied on many moons ago
> when I looked at it.  I encourage you to f? me and mfinkle on Fennec build
> patches, and to pursue Fennec-specific discussion on mobile-firefox-dev.
>
> Nick
>
> [1]
> http://www.ncalexander.net/blog/2014/07/09/how-to-land-a-fennec-feature-behind-a-build-flag/
> [2]
> http://www.ncalexander.net/blog/2015/02/13/how-to-update-and-test-fennec-feature-build-flags/
>

> > The question is: Is this a good plan for desktop and Fennec? Should there
> > be more/less fine grade control for installation there?
> >
> > [1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/speech-api/raw-file/tip/webspeechapi.html
> > [2] http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/
> > [3] Initially we will work only with English and introduce a mechanism to
> > install other models later.

Nick

Thanks for the detailed feedback! I'll start a separate Fennec specific
discussion on mobile-firefox-dev.

As far as Fennec is concerned, we can make the installation not include the a
model, but have the Fennec plan mirror the B2G plan and have model(s)
downloadable/installable by interested devs. This can be a solution for
nightly, until a final solution for model installation is decided upon.

Best