On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 10:36 PM, <kda...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> We would like some feedback on build flags for the Web Speech API
> installation.
>
> More specifically, we are planning to land an initial version of the Web
> Speech API[1] into Geko. However, due to a number of factors, model size
> being one of them, we plan to introduce various build flags which
> install/do not install parts of the Web Speech API for various build
> targets.
>
> Our current plan for B2G is as follows:
>
> 1. Introduce a flag to control installation of the Web Speech API
> 2. Introduce a flag to control installation of  Pocketsphinx[2], the
> STT/TTS engine.
> 3. Introduce a script to allow installation of models, allowing developers
> to test the Web Speech API (They can test once they've made a build with
> the previous two flags on)
>
> Our question is related to desktop and Fennec. Our current plan is to:
>
> 1. Introduce a flag to control installation of the Web Speech API +
> Pocketsphinx + English model[3]

For Fennec, that's about right -- a build flag should control building and
shipping all (or parts) of this, and a Gecko pref controls enabling the
feature (exposing it to web content).  There are numerous examples, and see
[1] and [2] for Fennec specific notes.

Fennec is extremely concerned about its APK size and is very unlikely to
ship the large model files that the Web Speech API relied on many moons ago
when I looked at it.  I encourage you to f? me and mfinkle on Fennec build
patches, and to pursue Fennec-specific discussion on mobile-firefox-dev.

Nick

[1]
http://www.ncalexander.net/blog/2014/07/09/how-to-land-a-fennec-feature-behind-a-build-flag/
[2]