On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Mike Hoye <mh...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> The word "vote" implies that the act of voting has a direct effect on the
> outcome, which is clearly not the case here and really shouldn't be. But
> that's probably the root of a lot of community frustration.

​Forums like Reddit and StackOverflow use "upvoting" to great benefit. If
you think it's a democratic "vote" that has a specified result if you "win"
then you'll be disappointed; if you realize it's the same thing as various
other site's ways to express interest/support​
​ then it starts to make more sense.

I definitely don't think "votes" should dictate what we implement, but I
also think Mozilla should pay more attention to votes than we do. They flag
pain points. The picture would be clearer if we had "downvotes" too (e.g.
the previously mentioned MNG bug would paint a different picture if you
could see it's "really contentious" rather than "really popular").

-Dan Veditz