> AFAIK there is no webkitSrcObject, and Chrome/Opera use:
>
>     video.src = URL.createObjectURL(stream);
>
> which works, but as I understand it leaves blobs around to be
> garbage collected.

In Gecko, object URLs from MediaStreams are currently not
auto-revoked, so the MediaStream will not be garbage collected
until the URL is explicitly revoked.  I'd be surprised if
Webkit/Blink were different.

However, the examples [1][2] don't revokeObjectURL().
The specification [3] didn't explicitly mention auto-revocation,
so I suspect that was a bug in the examples, but IIRC the FileAPI
went through some changes re auto-revocation and I don't know what
exactly it was specifying when Media Capture and Streams was drafted.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-webrtc-20130910/#simple-peer-to-peer-example
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-mediacapture-streams-20130903/#examples
[3]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-mediacapture-streams-20130903/#widl-URL-createObjectURL-DOMString-MediaStream-stream