On 2015-10-02 2:42 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
It might still mean that we can save time on tryserver if we only
build these by default if the user has opted in to running the
relevant tests.

I agree with Gregory. I really don't see much value in building these
binaries by default. For the people that use them often enough that
they are worth having, adding a line to mozconfig is easy enough.

There is one concrete advantage to building them, which is if your change ends up breaking some of them, you'll know immediately and you can fix it much faster than it you find out about it on the try server and/or on inbound.

This also seems independent on other build system improvements. Either
way we'd save by not building these files.

Look at it this way. 16 seconds of wall time is pretty easy to save with things such as moving more files to unified builds (the unified builds project brought down our clobber build times by around 50%!). Trading the speed off with people writing code that won't compile on their own platform on try/inbound seems like the wrong way to optimize the build system.