On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 01:22:35PM -0400, Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> > I support going back to a giant monolithic repository if we can cleanly
> > delineate the code for various projects.
> >
> > We know that the searchability and readability of our code is a major
> > barrier to some kinds of participation. We should continue to optimize
> > ourselves around that workflow.
> >
> > Does this proposal come with a plan to check out subsets of the code? In
> > particular, I want to express the following as something inbetween
> "serious
> > concerns" and "requirements":
> >
> >  * The default view of dxr.mozilla.org should not include non-Firefox
> code
> >  * The default checkout should not include non-Firefox code. (Note:
> >    this is about the working tree: I don't think the space in the .hg
> >    directory matters enough to worry about).
> >
> > >- TTBOMK, Thunderbird is Mozilla's second largest project in terms of
> > >   number of users, behind Firefox, and before Firefox for Android and
> > >   Firefox OS.  Many of those users may legitimately want to contribute
> > >   to Thunderbird, and the bar to entry is made much higher by the
> > >   multi-repository setup and the extra complexity it entails. Mozilla
> is
> > >   actively making the bar to entry for Firefox/Firefox for
> > >   Android/Firefox OS contributions lower, at the expense of Thunderbird
> > >   contributors. This is a sad state of affairs.
> >
> > I'm sorry that it makes you sad, but Mozilla has explicitly decided to
> > prioritize the bar to entry for Firefox development, and the speed of
> > development of Firefox, at the expense of Thunderbird (and seamonkey).
>
> What's even more sad is that it's at the expense of Thunderbird (and
> SeaMonkey) *and* at the expense of Firefox build system changes.

That may be a reason for the people working on the build system to refactor
it without consideration for Thunderbird. That may sound heartless, but it
is the current directive from the organization that is paying us to work on
m-c.

Whether or not Mozilla should change that directive is a separate
discussion. But as it stands, the only reason Thunderbird can possibly
stand in the way of changes to Firefox is if developers are bucking the
"ignore Thunderbird" directive to some degree.

bholley