On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 2:02 AM, Emma Humphries <e...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Priority sounds like a great choice, but given that everyone's using the
> Priority field their own way, there's enough heterogeneity in how it's used
> to make it difficult.

Fwiw, we (Awesome Search Team) also use Priority for the backlog, and we
consider P1, P2 and P5 the same as Media Playback team. So there is some
convergence about the meaning of those.
Though we also use P3 for "we care about this and will fix it, provided
there's no major priority bug to fix first". This helps planning future
work, by retriaging P3s into P2s when the list of P2s shrinks or new goals
are made. The P5 pool would be too large to pick things out of it.
Merging P4 into P5 wouldn't make much of a difference. Both are things we
recognize are valid bugs, but it's very unlikely we'll ever have time to
fix them.

Imo, merging everything below P2 into a single backlog is a mistake,
there's quite a huge difference between "we want to fix this once there's
time but it's not critical now" to "we are unlikely to ever have time to
fix this". I personally feel the need for a "P3" category.