It seems to me that when this bug program was started, it had these
two goals (quoted from Emma's previous email):

"First, we want
to make better assertions about the quality of our releases by making clear
decisions about which bugs must be fixed for each release (urgent) and
actively tracking those bugs. The other is the number of good bugs filed by
our community. Filing a bug report is a gateway to greater participation in
the Mozilla project, and we owe it to our community to make quick and clear
decisions about each bug."

Somewhere along the way this got conflated with "all teams must use
the same process to indicate how bugs got triaged". While I'm sure
that doing so provides additional benefits, I'm not sure it's
necessary to accomplish the goals stated above, and might actually be
counterproductive initially. Some teams already have processes in
place for triaging and annotating bugs, and have been using their
process for quite some time. Forcing them into a new process seems
unnecessary if what they are doing already works for them. I think
what's more important is that each component have an owner (or
owners), and that the triage process for that component is documented
somewhere and followed. For those teams that don't already have a
triage process or that are looking to change their process, I think
it's a great idea to have a canned "this is the recommended approach
we know has worked for some teams" ready for them to use. Dictating
specific process rather than allowing teams to find their own way to
meet the requirements is overkill.

If you do want to expand the scope of this proposal to add more
uniformity across Mozilla then that should be explicitly stated as a
goal. Personally, I think that might be better done as a follow-up
effort after looking at the variety of triage processes that different
teams use and finding something that is general enough to work for
everybody.

Cheers,
kats