On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Benjamin Smedberg
<benja...@smedbergs.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:50 AM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
>>     Why it's important
>>         What makes this problem important or urgent to fix?
>>

> Yes! If this isn't clear, who owns this? Either the module owner/peer, or a
> product manager, usually. Are there cases where we don't know?

In my experience this piece is often the most unclear. If we trying to
be more product-focused, then I think ultimately the product manager
should have the final say on the urgency of any user-visible bug.
However, in order to make an informed decision, they need to have
information about how frequently and under what circumstances the bug
occurs. Usually that information is not available without doing some
sort of time-consuming investigation as to the root cause. This
approach requires a high amount of bandwidth from the product
management team (they have to look at a lot of bugs) as well as the
dev team (lots of investigation into root causes).

In practice this tends decision tends to "gracefully degrade" into a
process where the module owner/peer looks at the bug, makes a guess as
to how bad it is, and requests tracking if it's worse than some
arbitrary/subjective threshold, and product management may not even
see it until much later (when it's already on aurora/beta, for
example). I'm not sure what we can do to improve this process exactly,
but I feel like there's room to make it more objective and clear-cut
without requiring extra bandwidth. I'm thinking of something along the
lines of a wiki page or some documentation that provides more
objective guidelines as to when a bug should be marked as tracking,
that the module owners/peers/triagers can reference when trying to
decide.

kats