On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 3:11 PM, <chris.ryan.pea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 10:53:50 AM UTC+13, Mike Connor wrote:
> > (please direct followups to dev-planning, cross-posting to governance,
> > firefox-dev, dev-platform)
> >

> > Nearly 19 years after the creation of the Mozilla Project, commit access
> > remains essentially the same as it has always been.  We've evolved the
> > vouching process a number of times, CVS has long since been replaced by
> > Mercurial & others, and we've taken some positive steps in terms of
> > securing the commit process.  And yet we've never touched the core idea
> of
> > granting developers direct commit access to our most important
> > repositories.  After a large number of discussions since taking ownership
> > over commit policy, I believe it is time for Mozilla to change that
> > practice.
> >
> > Before I get into the meat of the current proposal, I would like to
> outline
> > a set of key goals for any change we make.  These goals have been
> informed
> > by a set of stakeholders from across the project including the
> engineering,
> > security, release and QA teams.  It's inevitable that any significant
> > change will disrupt longstanding workflows.  As a result, it is critical
> > that we are all aligned on the goals of the change.
> >

> > I've identified the following goals as critical for a responsible commit
> > access policy:
> >

> >    - Compromising a single individual's credentials must not be
> sufficient
> >    to land malicious code into our products.
> >    - Two-factor auth must be a requirement for all users approving or
> >    pushing a change.
> >    - The change that gets pushed must be the same change that was
> approved.
> >    - Broken commits must be rejected automatically as a part of the
> commit
> >    process.
> >

> > In order to achieve these goals, I propose that we commit to making the
> > following changes to all Firefox product repositories:
> >

> >    - Direct commit access to repositories will be strictly limited to
> >    sheriffs and a subset of release engineering.
> >       - Any direct commits by these individuals will be limited to fixing
> >       bustage that automation misses and handling branch merges.
> >    - All other changes will go through an autoland-based workflow.
> >       - Developers commit to a staging repository, with scripting that
> >       connects the changeset to a Bugzilla attachment, and integrates
> > with review
> >       flags.
> >       - Reviewers and any other approvers interact with the changeset as
> >       today (including ReviewBoard if preferred), with Bugzilla flags as
> the
> >       canonical source of truth.
> >       - Upon approval, the changeset will be pushed into autoland.
> >       - If the push is successful, the change is merged to
> mozilla-central,
> [...]

One potential approach would be to keep it for contributors who themselves
were L3
committers in the current framework (and met a similar bar in the future).

The way to rationalize this is that those people could always set up a sock
puppet
account, submit a patch, and then review it themselves and it would be
landed,
so the policy is ultimately "sign off by one L3 committer"

-Ekr