I don't have any data to back this up, but my suspicion is that a large
percentage
of backouts had try runs, but said try runs didn't run the jobs that failed
and caused
the backout. Imo, these kinds of backouts are (more) acceptable because it
means
the developer was trying to avoid doing a full try run, a practice that
should be
cheaper overall in the long run (and if done properly).

For example, you could either:
A) Do a full try run then push, almost guaranteeing you won't be backed
out. But
then you run every job twice and take longer to complete your bug, a
significant
cost.

B) Do a partial try run, running X% of the jobs yielding a Y% chance of
being
backed out.

There's some sweet spot between no try run, and try: -all which is the most
cost
effective (both in terms of AWS bill and developer time).

That being said, I think this is an issue of tools rather than policy.
Things like being
smarter about running jobs based on files changed and improving interfaces
selecting jobs on try, should help with backout rates. But the single
biggest thing we
could do is getting rid of integration branches altogether (and instead get
autoland to
merge directly from try). In this world, backouts would hardly even exist
anymore.

I believe we're already headed in this direction, albeit slowly.

-Andrew