On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 01:49:28PM -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
On 6/14/17 12:23 PM, Andrew Swan wrote:
I would hope that if we have promising or widely used webextension
experiments, that the relevant peers would be aware of them when reviewing
changes that might affect them

I don't see how they would be, unless we have something like dxr for the relevant code.

As a concrete example, how would a necko peer know that some webextension experiment uses or doesn't use various necko interfaces?

Currently, we don't allow experiments on release builds. Or, to be technically accurate, we allow them on release builds as of 55 if they're signed by AMO, but AMO does not currently support signing them.

When we've talked about allowing them on release builds in the past, the consensus has always been that they'd need to be reviewed by appropriate Firefox or Platform peers before being published, and we would have the appropriate ownership to update them as necessary to maintain compatibility.