On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 07:27:39PM -0700, Nicholas Alexander wrote:
Hi all,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 3:56 PM, Xidorn Quan <m...@upsuper.org> wrote:

It's fine to embed this experiment in the product, and blog about it, but
it's definitely not fine to have it enabled by default and send every DNS
request to a third-party.

I can understand that the intent must be good, and for better privacy, but
the approach of doing so is not acceptable. Users would think Firefox is
going to just send data to arbitrary third-party without agreement from
them.

As you can see from the replies, almost all people outside the network
team has expressed concerns about this, which should be considered a signal
already that how other technical users may feel about this experiment, and
how technical news would create a title for this.

Let me add my voice as a person outside the network team who can understand
the concerns and _still thinks we should be doing this_.

I'll second this.

I think it's reasonable to be concerned about the public reaction to this, but I also think it's worth doing. The end result of this will almost certainly be improved privacy and security for users who have this enabled by default, and we can't get to that point without doing a study like this.

I think it's worth the risk of a backlash. But I also think we should do what we can to minimize that backlash.