On 3/19/18 1:08 PM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
There's a lot of thinking that went into the agreement we have with
Cloudflare to enable this experiment in a way that respects user privacy.

I would like us to be very clear that there are two separate things here:

1)  Is this behavior good for users?
2) Will people think this behavior is good for users and for them? (Maybe this should itself be two separate things.)

Here's how I see this:

* There are some concerns being raised about item 1 (e.g. it may be good for users in the US but less good for users in jurisdictions where the legal obligations of ISPs are qutie different). Have we considered doing the experiment only in some geographies, ones where we can make a particularly strong case for the status quo being user-hostile?

* For item 2, fundamentally, we want to avoid people feeling like they are being betrayed when they discover they are part of this experiment. To me that seems like it requires clear messaging that they _are_ part of the experiment. If we tell a nightly user "you are part of a DNS experiment, here are the details, here is how you opt out", that leaves a _very_ different impression from (hypothetically; I haven't checked whether this would be a failure mode of the proposed setup) the nightly user being unable to access some intranet site that they set up /etc/hosts entries for, spending a bunch of time figuring out why, and then discovering that we silently changed how their browser does DNS. In the latter situation people will be predisposed to believe the worst and not listen to any explanations.

* Assuming we go forward with this, we should very seriously think about the messaging, both in-product and out-of-product. For example, I would think that we would want this to appear on tech news sites _before_ we start doing the experiment, not after. That gives us a chance to present our case in a non-crisis atmosphere, gives people a heads-up about what they should expect, and is a lot less likely to be perceived as us trying to sneak things in.

* A lot of this is about trust; both building trust and destroying it. Fundamentally, for most people (I'd guess nearly all) trust is not a logical decision; it's based on gut reactions. Trying to logically convince people that they should trust us is just not going to work if their instincts are screaming at them not to trust us. That means that even if we're 100% sure something is better for users and even if we have super-convincing arguments for it, we need to seriously think about the way it's messaged (or not) and the resulting impact on trust. It doesn't help that what comes across as reassuring to one person comes across as weaselly information-free double-speak to another....

I'd like the team to share this in a blog post
about the experiment

This seems like a good start, and we may want to then make sure whatever information we are trying to put out there actually gets picked up by widely-enough-read news bits so people aren't blindsided.

-Boris