On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 11:57 AM Nicholas Alexander
<nalexan...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> One reason we might not want to stop producing opt builds: we produce
> artifact builds against opt (and debug, with --enable-debug in the local
> mozconfig).  It'll be very odd to have --enable-artifact-build and
> _require_ --enable-pgo or whatever it is in the local mozconfig.

This seems reasonable.  (I'm in agreement with the people upthread
that think we should have opt testing, but regardless of that
particular outcome, not requiring people to put goo in their
mozconfigs seems like a noble goal.)

> I expect that these opt build platforms will be relatively inexpensive to
> preserve, because step one (IIUC) of pgo is to build the same source files
> as the opt builds.  So with luck we get sccache hits between the jobs.
> Perhaps somebody with more knowledge of pgo and sccache can confirm or
> refute that assertion?

PGO uses different compilation flags than a normal opt build in both
the profiling and the profile use phases (for instrumentation, etc.),
so I'd assume that opt builds and PGO builds would not share compiled
objects.

-Nathan