+1.

The goal of shippable builds is twofold:

1. to make sure opt builds+tests, or similar (artifact builds?) answer the
question "is my commit good?" as fast as possible, and
2. to make sure shippable builds+tests answer the question "are these
binaries correct and ready to ship, if we decide to ship this revision?"

I agree that we should run a full suite of tests against shippable builds,
which probably includes things like performance testing.
We still need some class of builds+tests that answer the question "is my
commit good?" quickly. If debug builds are sufficient for the most part,
and opt builds+tests on try fill in the gaps, then yes. (That appears to be
what this thread is largely about.) If not, I could see us having at least
some subset of tests running against opt or artifact builds.

If we switch talos to PGO now, we'll probably switch them to shippable
builds at some point in the near future.