On 1/24/2019 9:57 PM, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
was there a specific reason to put the code in chrome://browser/ ? It
seems to me that this is a feature that is common for all toolkit apps,
so if you put it in chrome://toolkit/ then Thunderbird can just make use
of it without any major migration needs.

We placed this page in the "browser" folder on purpose to get access to
a broader range of styling assets, like the icon we display for locked
preferences, without having to worry about uplifting specific parts of
Photon to the "toolkit" folder, which complicates the asset management.

As we see it, this page is specific to Firefox Desktop. Other products
that live in mozilla-central already have a separate implementation,
which is much easier from a maintenance perspective anyways, given that
there are only about 400 lines of code and this way we don't have to
worry about extra communication overhead for every change.

For the same reasons, while I can't speak for the Thunderbird project,
I believe that a separate code base for this page could lessen the
maintenance burden on Thunderbird as well.

Cheers,
Paolo