On Sunday 2019-03-24 22:21 -0700, Domenic Denicola wrote:
> Some time ago we spent some effort documenting a cross-browser
> mostly-interoperable behavior for list-item-like behaviors, in
> https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/2002 and linked threads. The result is
> the spec at
> https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/grouping-content.html#list-owner and
> the tests at
> https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/tree/master/html/semantics/grouping-content/the-ol-element
>  .
>
> The spec at https://drafts.csswg.org/css-lists/#declaring-a-list-item seems
> to contradict that hard-fought consensus. It states simply that
>
> > Additionally, list items automatically increment the special list-item
> > counter. Unless the counter-increment property manually specifies a
> > different increment for the list-item counter, it must be incremented by 1
> > on every list item, at the same time that counters are normally incremented.
>
> This omits all the details at
> https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/grouping-content.html#ordinal-value ,
> e.g. reversed="", the collection of owned list items, value="" attribute
> parsing, etc.
>
> It seems like a regression to implement list item numbering according to that
> spec, instead of according to HTML.

I wouldn't expect any of these features or tests to regress as a
result of this.  (That said, I think it may be worth considering
behavior changes to edge cases, if such changes are needed,
particularly where browsers aren't currently interoperable, in order
to move towards the idea of list numbering being implemented with
CSS counters underneath.)

I'd note that the sample style sheet for HTML in CSS Lists does
attempt to describe what is needed for HTML:
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-lists/#ua-stylesheet
although it admits that the CSS counter model on its own can't
describe reversed.

The web-platform-test test expectation changes in
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/ae4e4daebdc4 are (except
for a single test) in the direction of improvement.

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂
𝄒   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   𝄂