It's great to hear that this isn't a regression in the way I expected. I think
I was thrown off by the phrasing of the OP, which implied to me a switch from
following the HTML spec to following the CSS lists spec. As I noted, the CSS
lists spec contradicts the HTML spec, e.g. disallowing reversed="" from
affecting the counter values. But it sounds like you're ignoring that part of
the CSS spec, and instead incrementing (setting?) the list-item counter
according to the HTML spec's rules.

I remain a bit concerned that the behavior you're implementing here is not
reflected in any spec at all. This would not matter if this were just internal
implementation refactoring. However, it's observable to the web via
getComputedStyle().

Note that the complete list of allowed-per-spec default style changes for li
elements is given by
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/rendering.html#lists , and per
https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/issues/5625 the CSSWG declared the
intent to test these requirements via web platform tests.

Introducing new observable behavior with no spec backing, or even opening an
issue on the relevant specs, seems bad. Reading between the lines, it seems to
be Mozilla's position that HTML should change to add some CSS rule to the user
agent stylesheet which modifies counter-set, but not counter-increment. If so
it'd be much appreciated if folks would open an issue on whatwg/html for public
standards discussion and work toward cross-browser consensus.