On Tuesday 2019-03-26 14:25 -0700, Domenic Denicola wrote:
> It's great to hear that this isn't a regression in the way I expected. I
> think I was thrown off by the phrasing of the OP, which implied to me a
> switch from following the HTML spec to following the CSS lists spec. As I
> noted, the CSS lists spec contradicts the HTML spec, e.g. disallowing
> reversed="" from affecting the counter values. But it sounds like you're
> ignoring that part of the CSS spec, and instead incrementing (setting?) the
> list-item counter according to the HTML spec's rules.

I don't think there's an actual contradiction.  The spec describes
the default behavior of list items, but then specifies that other
things happen through the values of CSS properties that are in the
UA stylesheet.  This is the normal way that things evolve when CSS
adds a CSS explanation for an existing feature and part of that CSS
explanation lives in the UA stylesheet.

This has been under discussion in the CSS working group for... over
a decade now, so I wouldn't say that there hasn't been any
cross-browser discussion of it.

That said, the specs could certainly coordinate better.

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂
𝄒   Mozilla                          https://www.mozilla.org/   𝄂