On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 11:50 AM Dale Harvey <dhar...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> We’re proposing a new mime-type [...]: “x-xpinstall” for WebExtension
> search
> engines. Example: <link rel=“search” type=“x-xpinstall” href="https://
> [...]

This is confusingly similar to "application/x-xpinstall" which we use to
trigger extension installs from link clicks. Since standard media-type
syntax is "<type>/<subtype>" some authors will tend to fill in the
"missing" bit and get it wrong, and others will complain that the syntax is
non-standard and broken.

Does this code enforce that the .xpi we download and attempt to install is
actually a search type and not an arbitrary WebExtension? If any extension
type will work then re-using the full application/x-xpinstall is
appropriate, but that sounds like it would go against user expectation and
might trick users into doing something dangerous. "This page would like to
install 'Steal all your data from every page search engine'. OK?" If the
code does enforce only search type add-ons will it be confusing to use the
generic media-type? Or maybe it's OK anyway, since rel="search" is required
and can be taken as requiring that subset.

If you _do_ invent a new one shared with other browser vendors, please
don't use an "x-" prefix in anything new.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6648 [2012] (hey -- our very own St. Peter)

Secure contexts: Yes.

"Yes" meaning "required", I hope.

Is this feature enabled by default in sandboxed iframes? Yes, this feature
> does not have any impact on sandboxed iframes.

Currently the feature doesn't seem to work in regular frames, only the
top-level document, so I don't know why it would work in sandboxed frames.
data:text/html,<iframe src=https://www.merriam-webster.com/></iframe>
-Dan Veditz