Sorry I had replied but only just realised the discussion had been taken
off list

> Does this code enforce that the .xpi we download and attempt to install
is actually a search type and not an arbitrary WebExtension

Yes,  extensions that only define a new search engine will be permitted,
the extension will not be able to do anything else.

> "Yes" meaning "required", I hope.

Yes https is required here

> Were there other alternatives considered which do not require modifying
web pages with a new meta tag?

Nope, this feature was planned mostly as a 1:1 equivalent implementation of
the current opensearch implementation to maintain parity between
webextensions and opensearch

> If you _do_ invent a new one shared with other browser vendors, please
> don't use an "x-" prefix in anything new.

Thanks, I got notice of others concerns about this as well and have been
looped in to discuss this more with standards before shipping. Once we have
something agreeable will make sure to update this thread.

> I realize that getting this kind of feedback at the time of an intent to
ship is at best extremely unsettling, because you've probably done a lot of
work on this, and for that I apologize.

Not at all, thanks to everyone for their feedback, happy to make sure we
get this right before shipping (or not).

Cheers
Dale