I see this question (new root cert/private key or continue with the existing
one)‎ as being less about security and more about what got us here in the first
place.

From Ryan's reply:

1) Certificates that violate policy (such as the one that lead to CNNIC's
quasi-removal) may have been issued that, if CNNIC were accepted, would
become recognized as valid.

I think this is the crux of the problem: how do we want to treat all the
existing certs which chain to this root? If we let the existing root stand it
seems like we're saying to CNNIC, "Go ahead and do these audits and then once
you've been accepted back in the program we'll just pretend that this whole
thing never happened."

There are probably good reasons to do just that (convenience to cert holders,
expediency in reinstating CNNIC's root) but then I have to rethink what started
this whole mess: the loss of trust/confidence in the management of this CA.
Since losing that trust, why would (should?) we allow any of those certs to be
valid once more? How do we know which ones are safe to trust?

To my mind, if the question being asked is how do we reestablish trust in
CNNIC‎ then I think the answer is new private key, new root cert, new audits,
and new certs issued to existing cert holders. If it's a different question
being asked, we'll probably have a different answer.