On Tue, May 26, 2015 10:56 pm, Matt Palmer wrote:
>  On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 02:26:33PM -0700, Kathleen Wilson wrote:
> > But this raises the question of whether their re-application can be for
> > the
> > same (currently-included) root certificates, or if it has to be for a
> > new
> > root certificate. In other words, should we consider taking the stance
> > that
> > we will require a new root certificate for their re-application? (i.e.
> > the
> > restrictions would remain in place for the currently-included roots.)
>
>  I think it would be best if CNNIC did not re-use the same roots when
>  applying for reinclusion.

I think it best that we settle this particular matter quickly, since it
has the greatest impact on CNNIC's ability to adapt to any program
requirements for re-inclusion. This, among every other requirement, has
the greatest impact to timing, implementation (e.g. must be ceremonialized
key construction), and evaluation.

For what it's worth, I have a hard time seeing the benefits to requiring a
new root, especially as it's played out for other inclusions, and in
practice how it's played out for non-BR compliance (of which there are
still a variety of CAs that are either non-compliant or have
qualifications on their compliance).

Naturally, the concern is the ambiguity for the period of time between
removal and re-inclusion. However, that's a time that can be audited (no
different than a point-in-time readiness assessment plus a covering period
of time ex-post audit, arguably). Now, perhaps we don't trust the audits -
after all, there were deficiencies in technical controls that lead to an
event that was, from an auditor's perspective, undiscoverable, and it was
only through sheer luck that it happened to be noticed. But that's a
problem inherent to and endemic in audits, and doesn't disappear when you
replace with a new root (... which will have a PITRA before application,
and a period of time after application).

While I realize Gerv responded earlier that Mozilla does not have an
official position of support for CT, it is worth noting that this
ambiguity (both during new inclusions and, potentially, for re-inclusions)
is something that CT can solve quite well. This is because it offers a way
to disclose the existing certs issued in the interim, if any (establishing
reasonable evidence of good faith), and, if technically enforced (e.g. via
a policy of trusted logs), provide strong assurances that there are no
misissued certificates that might be trusted between the point of removal
and the point of reinclusion (and all points in the future)

To circle back on the new root, and to explain why I don't think it makes
sense, the arguments would be:

1) Certificates that violate policy (such as the one that lead to CNNIC's
quasi-removal) may have been issued that, if CNNIC were accepted, would
become recognized as valid.
2) Auditors may not discover such certificates in the interim audit periods.

#2 is true regardless of new or existing root.
#1 can be mitigated through a variety of means (CT would reveal the policy
violation, a date enforcement of a notBefore check could offer a soft
policy check, I'm sure other options exist) that don't necessarily require
creating a new root.

Anyways, it would help to spell out the problems you think would be solved
by a new root, even if not exhaustively, so that the arguments can be
evaluated. Given the impact to CNNIC, we (the Mozilla-trusting community)
need to have that conversation sooner than later, so I appreciate Kathleen
pushing it forward.