On 09/01/2016 19:22, Kai Engert wrote:
On Sat, 2016-01-09 at 14:11 +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:
That would have some pretty bad consequences.  With the MITM CA cert enabled,
Borat [0] can read every Kazakh user's email, but no-one else can.  With the
MITM CA blacklisted, Borat can still read every Kazakh user's email, but so
can everyone else on the planet.  So the choice is between privacy against
everyone but one party, and privacy against no-one.

I don't understand why blacklisting a MITM CA would enable everyone to read the
data that passes through the MITM. Could you please explain? (It sounds like
there is either a misunderstanding on your or on my side.)

He is obviously referring to the fact that refusing to encrypt using
the MiTM certificate would force users to access their e-mails (etc.)
using unencrypted connections (plain HTTP, plain IMAP, plain POP3
etc.), thus exposing themselves to wiretapping by parties other than
the government in question.

Enjoy

Jakob