On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Jakob Bohm <jb-mozi...@wisemo.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/2016 19:22, Kai Engert wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 2016-01-09 at 14:11 +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>>>
>>> That would have some pretty bad consequences.  With the MITM CA cert
>>> enabled,
>>> Borat [0] can read every Kazakh user's email, but no-one else can.  With
>>> the
>>> MITM CA blacklisted, Borat can still read every Kazakh user's email, but
>>> so
>>> can everyone else on the planet.  So the choice is between privacy
>>> against
>>> everyone but one party, and privacy against no-one.
>>

>> I don't understand why blacklisting a MITM CA would enable everyone to
>> read the
>> data that passes through the MITM. Could you please explain? (It sounds
>> like
>> there is either a misunderstanding on your or on my side.)
>>

> He is obviously referring to the fact that refusing to encrypt using
> the MiTM certificate would force users to access their e-mails (etc.)
> using unencrypted connections (plain HTTP, plain IMAP, plain POP3
> etc.), thus exposing themselves to wiretapping by parties other than
> the government in question.

That does not concern me. What does concern me is that a user of the
Web believes that their communications are encrypted when they are not.

The browser should break when communication is not possible without
interception by a third party. In this particular case the party has
demonstrated its intention to use the CA to create MITM certificates.
I suggest that as soon as evidence of such certificates is seen, the
CA be blacklisted.