The Mozilla Trusted Root program can and should police violations of the
Mozilla Trusted Root program, and any other fraudulent *publicly trusted*
certificates. That's non-controversial.

Policing violations of more general social norms -- by choosing to actively
distrust non-publicly-trusted certificates -- I wonder how effective that's
going to be at mitigating the threat, and how quickly a less
black-and-white case will arise that will put Mozilla in a much tougher
spot.

Peter Bowen explained earlier how nation-state MITMs inherently violate the
Baseline Requirements:

> I agree 100%.  MITM implies that they are not following BR, as there
> is no way they can be validating domain control[1].  This should mean
> that they cannot complete a BR audit without having a massive
> qualification on the report.

And that the only way they could argue otherwise is to say that they have
practical domain control from their nation-level vantage point. That sounds
like an absurd counter-argument to me, but if there's any weakness in the
BRs or Mozilla policies that allows that counter-argument to be non-absurd,
then proposals to make clear in the BRs or Mozilla policies that "domain
control" means something global would be helpful.

-- Eric

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>