For those who are unaware, payment terminals, especially older ones, generally
do not have remote update functionality anyway.  Even for modern ones that do,
I've heard from point of sale vendors that maybe 25% at most of their terminals
in the field are reachable, often because of not enabling the feature to avoid
breaking tested systems at random times, segmented networks, and firewalls, and
so on.

Getting rid of older terminal software generally involves replacing the
terminal, because shipping a USB securely under dual control to a pizza shop
franchise owner and expecting him to update his terminal's firmware
successfully generally doesn't work.  The people involved aren't technical
experts.

Also, for those suggesting modifications to the terminal systems themselves, be
aware that there are extensive audit or validation requirements for any
software or configuration changes on payment terminals.  A new PCI PA-DSS audit
is not going to be completed in 4 days.

The financial services industry is extremely complicated, and has all sorts of
warts that I'm not even going to try to defend, but for those unfamiliar with
it, I'd caution against proposing impractical solutions that could very well do
far more harm than good.  Yes, these businesses should have done a far better
job avoiding this problem, but the risk related to issuing a limited number of
carefully controlled certificates must be balanced against the reality of
denying thousands of small, medium and large businesses the ability to accept
cardholder transactions.

-Tim