On 24/02/16 19:27, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> I believe the concern is that Worldpay is asking for an exception by saying,
> "We've tried 'things' and they didn't work - can we please have a SHA1
> cert?" We don't know what these 'things' they've tried are or whether there
> is an alternative. Lots of customers have asked for SHA1 certs on the
> premises that they need them because of old devices.  Is this one special?
> Perhaps, but the alternatives should first be considered.

I believe that large chunks of Worldpay got this right; one part of the
business "didn't get the memo" and missed the deadline for cert renewal
at the end of the year. Once they found out, a short time ago, they
tried the "non-BR root" method but that only covered 90% of devices due
to divergent root stores. (200,000 devices use these servers, so 20,000
would still be affected if they went that way - that's where the numbers
we have been using come from.)

> When creating OneCRL, Mozilla expressed concerns about the potential size of
> the CRL if end entity certs were included. Now, they are being asked to
> include 10,000 end-entity certs in OneCRL (which are not even revoked).

Sorry if this wasn't clear originally; they don't need one cert per
terminal, they need one cert per receiving server. The number of certs
concerned is nine (9).

Gerv