On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 9:49 AM, Nick Lamb <tialara...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The second thing obviously is that they do have exactly the "rule" Richard
> Wang described, and they believe this was justified under the BRs old 3.2.2.4
> method 7 (which isn't a method at all, it's basically a catch-all).
>
> I think that's probably something that needs to go to CA/B although of course
> Mozilla would be well within its rights to just write to all CAs, asking if
> they have this or any similar "rules" that frustrate the intention of 3.2.2.4
> and if so asking them to fix it by some reasonable deadline, such as EOY 2016.

There is some good news.  The CA/Browser Forum has already addressed
this, even prior to the current discussions. Ballot 169
(https://cabforum.org/2016/08/05/ballot-169-revised-validation-requirements/)
revises 3.2.2.4 considerably.  The new section 3.2.2.4.7 specifically
addresses DNS validation.  Under the new rules, which should be in
effect as of 1 March 2017, validating www.<domain> will not be a valid
method of showing control of <domain>.  The name is true for any valid
hostname under <domain>.  The only note is that names in the form
_<something>.<domain> (that is starting with an underscore) can be
used to validate <domain>.

So this gap will close soon.

Thanks,
Peter